Saturday, June 15, 2013

"That's not art. It's literally just a chair"

Day 15 (probably)
Wednesday! I'll keep these Madrid summaries short because most of the interesting things happen on our trips. I'll build up a little suspense now, our trip this weekend has been verrrry interesting. But back to Wednesday, we visited the Reina Sofia, the contemporary and modern art museum in Madrid. I'm not a huge fan of modern art because it's so..."unique"...so the first half of our visit to the Reina Sofia was just kind of weird. One piece was an entire room with a giant bird cage, two parrots and sand on the floor. Is that really art? Sounds more like a zoo to me. Another strange modern piece was a chair with an orange sitting on it. What? But I digress.

After the modern art exhibit, we ventured upstairs to see what really came to the museum for: Picasso, Dalí, cubism, etc. You know what I'm talking about! The crème de la crème was Picasso's Guernica. Painted during WWII after an unexpected, brutal bombing of a small village in northern Spain, this painting was used to show the cruelties of Hitler's regime. It was a really moving piece and looks quite a bit better in person than in my little textbook.

After the museum, I went home to pack for our free weekend to San Sebastián! Expect an awesome, long post tomorrow about that!

Carrie



No comments:

Post a Comment