Sunday, June 2, 2013

"I don't know what this building is...but it's a church and it looks old"

¡Buenos días de Madrid! Now where did I leave off...

Day 3
Friday was our first full day of class. It's really interesting but I will admit, it's difficult having three hours of class completely in Spanish, especially when you're talking about history! But I can already tell my Spanish is improving every day. After class, we went to our homes for the siesta. Adjusting to the Spanish daily routine has been quite interesting. Typically we eat breakfast around 8:00, lunch at 2:00 then dinner anywhere from 9:00-11:00 without any snacks in between. I thought going so long between meals and eating dinner practically in the middle of the night would be rough but I really like it! And it helps that in Spain, they expect you to eat all of the food they serve you - which is generous; I'm proud to say I have yet to leave any food on my plate. My new expanded appetite will probably give me some trouble when I go back to the States though! One last thing about food: the strawberries here are unbelievable. They are perfectly sweet and fresh; I fully intend to eat them every day. Our señora serves us the strawberries with a tiny bit of sugar and vinegar and it just blows me away how delicious they are. Ok, back to my day! After our siesta (during which I can never take a nap because I'm always too excited haha), I had to navigate the metro on my own for the first time to meet our Baylor group for a walking tour. I was doing well, no problems at all but luckily I ran into some other students from our group which was very fortunate because I would have struggled to find the actual building we needed to meet at on my own. Madrid is actually known for being a city of miracles, and so far I completely believe it, although I've only had milagros pequeños (little miracles). After a two hour walking tour of the heart of Madrid and churros con chocolate (deliciosos), we all went home for our dinners and to do homework for class the next morning. Such a great day!

Day 4
Saturday was a great day. The morning was the same as before except for an hour long commute due to the metro and the buses moving slower on the weekends. After class, we went home for lunch then had an hour break before we had to leave for the fútbol game. Buying the tickets for the game was another miracle for our group since it was 1. a last minute decision by our professor, 2. there were around 45 people that wanted to go and 3. you can only buy six tickets at a time. But I guess Madrid likes Baylor because it all worked out perfectly! The game was amazing, made even better by the fact that the team we were rooting for, Real Madrid, won! After the game, a small group of us packed into the VERY crowded metro to go explore the center of town more. After dinner we went out again and got to experience the night life in Madrid a little bit. The next few days are regular class days for us but on Tuesday we will take our first trip, to Toledo and Aranjuez! I'm excited for everything we have planned for us and for the weather to warm up. So far the days have been chilly, starting in the upper 40s in the morning then staying in the 60s for most of the day (it's basically a Texas winter here). But I'm having too much fun to really notice it! That's all for now, but keep your eye out for more!

Carrie




No comments:

Post a Comment